Syrian Baked Eggplants with Tomato
Welcome to Syria and welcome to the Med! Food plays such a fundamental role in shaping us and our life-habits, that we believe this is what makes all the Mediterranean people feel so at home in each other's lands. Whether we have faith in different things, whether we speak different languages, whether we look different, we have a lot in common; the way we cook, the type of food we eat, the way we share our meals.
1 medium eggplant
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can tomatoes (drained) 16 oz.
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1 small onion
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried whole basil
- Peel & dice the eggplant
- Slice the mushrooms
- Chop the onion in half julienne
Preheat oven to 375°F
1. Cook eggplant in boiling water (salted) 8-10 minutes, drain well.
2. Sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms in olive oil. Add flour, stir until smooth.
3. Add tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Layer in lightly greased 1 qt. casserole. Bake for 25 minutes.