Tajeen Bamia Bil Dajaaj (Chicken with Okra)
Dare we say that the hairy strangely textured vegetable,called okra when combined with chicken and cooked in tomato sauce for a long while becomes a delicious dish and may even be appreciated by children??? Just give it one chance..and let us know what you think.
1/2 cup olive οil
2 soup spoons tomato paste
400g finely chopped canned tomatoes
1/2 kg fresh okra
6 sprigs parsley
Freshly ground pepper
1 medium tomato
- Portion the chicken if whole
- Slice the tomato in rounds
- Finely chop the parsley
- Chop the onion in brunoise or grate it if feeling lazy
1. In a saucepan saute the chicken with half of the olive οil until well browned on all sides.
2. Add the onion and cook until transparent.
3. Add tomato, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cover and boil slowly until the chicken becomes tender. Meanwhile do not forget to turn the chicken over οn all sides. 3. Rinse the okra and dip the cut part into salt. Sprinkle them with vinegar and let them "stand" for half an hour.
4. Wash them with plenty of water and let them strain well. ln a saucepan warm the rest of the οil and saute the okra.
5. When the chicken is nearly ready. Use a few cups of the sauce, parsley and 1/2 cup of hot water to boil the okra in. Put the tomato slices οn the surface. Cover the saucepan and boil them slowly for 15 minutes in order to become soft without melting.
6. Put the chicken οn a platter and place the okra around it. Sprinkle with some freshly ground pepper. Pour the sauce, the okra and the chicken in a baking tray and bake covered with aluminium foil for one hour. Remove the aluminium foil and keep baking for 30 minutes or for as long as it is needed for the okra and the chicken to become soft.