Fried Tomato Sauce (Sofrito de Tomate)
This is one of our Mediterranean basics; originally from Spain though it can be found in various shapes and forms in nearly all the neighbouring countries. Add sofrito to your meat, fish or chicken five minutes before it is finished, and it will impart delicious flavours to your main course.
- Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes
- Finely chop the garlic and onion
1. Sauté the garlic and onion until transparent and beginning to brown.
2. Add the tomatoes and fry on high heat for a few minutes.
3. Add the salt, bay leaf, parsley and liquid. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced.
4. Put the sauce in a blender with the hazelnuts and purée until smooth. The finner the sieve you pass the puréed sauce through the smoother it will be.
5. Keep in a jar in the fridge for about 5 days, but REMEMBER TO BRING TO A BOIL BEFORE EVERY USE.
* Make this as you would any type of jam, store in sterilized jars and have tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes all throughout winter!