Pasta with Fresh Broad Beans and Soft, Pungent Cheese
This Greek beans and pasta dish is a perfect and very satisfying vegetarian entree.
2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups shelled fava beans (about 1 kg)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups water
freshly ground black pepper
500 g ziti
1 1/2 cups Cretan Xinotyri or a combination of crumbled Greek feta and either anthotyro or whole-milk ricotta
- Chop onion
- Finely chop garlic
- Chop parsley
1. Heat the olive oil in a deep, wide skillet and cook the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the fava beans, half the parsley, and the water.
3. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
4. Cook the pasta in boiled salted water until al dente. Drain.
5. Pour half the sauce into a large serving bowl, add half the cheese and half the pasta, and toss.
6. Pour the remaining sauce on top, mix in remaining cheese and pasta, and sprinkle with remaining fresh parsley.
7. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.