Croatian Stuffed Crepes (Punjene palačinke)
This is a Croatian-style canneloni, perfect for a school night dinner with the family; one of those basic, rich and easily liked dishes!
1 cup cooking oil
½ pound ground meat
20 canned (19 ounces) plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp marjoram, oregano and thyme
10 crepes, store bought or homemade
For the topping
2 eggs, separated
1 cups Balkan-style yogurt or thick plain yogurt
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp nutmeg
- Finely chop the onion
- Make crepes.(Optional)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with the oil and then sauté the onions with the ground meat adding about 1 tablespoon of water.
2. Then add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and marjoram and simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
3. Fill the crepes with these ingredients, and roll them up. Arrange them seam side down in a buttered casserole dish.
4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
5. Mix the yogurt with the yolks, salt, cheese, and nutmeg. Fold in the egg whites.
6. Pour over the crepes and bake for about 15 minutes.