Tunisian Eggs & Peppers
This Tunisian dish will be loved by all! Sometimes we undervalue simplicity, and serve our guests dishes that have complicated procedures and elaborate tastes. Try serving this at a dinner party, with thinly cut fried potatoes, and you will be surprised by the reactions! Make sure to buy your eggs from a local farmer and use seasonal vegetables!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 fresh red chile
salt and freshly ground pepper
6 sprigs fresh mint
mint sprigs, to garnish
- Peel and quarter the tomatoes
- Seed and finely chop the red chile
- Cut the peppers and onion in julienne/ strips
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
1. Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add bell peppers and chile, cover and cook 8 minutes or until bell peppers are just tender.
3. Add tomatoes to bell pepper mixture, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are blended but still retain their shape and texture.
4. Season with salt and pepper and stir in mint.
5. Divide mixture among four ovenproof dishes. Make an indentation in vegetables and carefully add an egg to each one.
6. Cook in oven 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs have set.
7. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
*The eggs may be cooked in skillet, if preferred. Make four indentations in mixture and break in eggs. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minuts, basting occasionally with juices.