This delicious Greek pie made with paper-thin sheets of phyllo pastry, with a creamy cheese filling is the essence of everyday Greek menu.
10 phyllo leaves
500 gr hard feta (goat cheese)
2 cups of milk, tepid
8 tsps flour
5 tbs melted butter to grease the phyllo
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Crumble the feta with your fingers or crush it with a fork in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the flour, stirring to avoid lumps, and pour the milk.
- Stir well into a thick and smooth cream, add salt and a little pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Stir it, leave to cool completely and then mix the cream with the cheese crumbs.
- Add lightly beaten eggs to the cheese mixture. Stir the ingredients well.
- Butter a medium sized baking dish and lay half of the phyllo leaves on the bottom of the pan, brushing each separately with butter .
- Spread the cheese filling evenly over the phyllo. Fold back the phyllo ends over the filling.
- Butter the top and lay the rest of the phyllo leaves over it, buttering each separately.
- Cut away any phyllo ends protruding beyond the pan edge. Butter the top phyllo leaf well, then lightly score in strips.
- Sprinkle with some water and bake the pie in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut the cheese pie into pieces, while still warm, and serve.