Pies: Individual Phyllo Pies Filled with Olives and Roasted Red Peppers
The combination of red peppers, olives, fennel and dill gives these vegetarian pies a unique aroma!
1 packet commercial phyllo, defrosted and at room temperature
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, chopped
3 cups pitted Kalamata olives chopped
6 roasted red peppers (1 jar)
1 bunch dill, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup olive oil for brushing phyllo
Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (170º C).
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and cook the onions and fennel over medium heat, stirring until wilted. Sprinkle in 1 scant teaspoon of sugar, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for about 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture is lightly caramelized.
2. Place the olives, peppers, caramelized onions and fennel, dill and garlic in a large bowl and toss to combine.
3. Lightly oil a sheet pan. While you work, keep the phyllo covered with a kitchen towel and cover that with a damp kitchen towel.
4. Remove the first sheet and place it horizontally on your work surface. Brush lightly with olive oil. Place a second sheet on top and brush that with olive oil too. Spread one cup of the filling across the bottom width of the pastry, about one inch from the edge.
5. Fold the bottom edge and sides over the filling, then roll it from one end inward to form a loose coil. Place seam side down on the sheet pan. Cover with a kitchen towel as you continue with remaining phyllo and filling.
6. Place the twists about one inch apart on the sheet pan. When they are all formed, sprinkle the top with a little cold water. Bake in a moderate oven for about 25 minutes or until lightly golden and crisp. Remove, cool slightly and serve.