Sun dried tomatoes fried
Batter-fried vegetables are a standard part of any Greek meze table. These fried sun-dried tomatoes from Tinos are really spectacular.
2/3 cup beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion
1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
3/4 bunch fennel fronds plus tender stalks, or fresh dill
1/4 cup grated hard myzithra, kefalotyri or pecorino Romano cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive oil and sunflower oil for frying
12 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained on paper towels
- Finely chop the onion and the fresh herbs
- In a medium bowl, whisk the beer into the flour to make a thick batter.
- Stir in the onion, parsley, fennel or dill and cheese, if using. Season with salt (if the tomatoes are not salty) and a few grindings of pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil over medium-high heat to 170 C.
- Dip each sun-dried tomato into the batter, turning to coat on all sides. In batches, fry, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.