Lamb Balls in a Bulgur Wheat Crust (Koubeba)
A great combination of lamb and herbs.Ideal as a party snack.
500 g bulgur wheat, soaked overnight
100 g ground lamb
1 tbsp semolina
1 cup water (or as needed)
flour and vegetable oil for frying
For the filling
300 g ground lamb
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 tbsp parsley
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
red and black pepper
- Grate the onion
- Boil and mash the potato
- Chop the parsley
1. Sauté onion and garlic in butter. Add meat and brown lightly. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for 3-4 mins more.
2. Shape filling into small balls and store in freezer.
Making the crust
3. Combine all ingredients in food processor. Add a little water and blend into a thick dough.
4. Separate dough into balls and let rest.
5. Dip hands in water, then make a small well in each piece of dough. Push a ball of filling into the hole, then cover smooth dough around it; knead lightly into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
6. Cover koubeba balls with a damp towel. Roll in flour, then fry.