Steamed Koutsomoura (red mullet family) with garlic and rosemary
In the Med, you know summer is here when the scent of fish fills the air and you are surrounded by everything sea! This red mullet recipe can be prepared in no time, and yet is so full of Mediterranean flavor that you may be momentarily transported!
½ kg of small koutsomoura
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 glass of white wine
1 cup of water
6 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary needles
salt and pepper
*This smaller red mullet, scientifically known as Mullus Barbatus, as is well known is impossible to clean; so ask your fishmonger to scale and gut them for you
1. Salt and pepper your fish whichcan either be whole or filleted, depending on what you decide.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan with a well fitting lid and make sure the oil does not smoke.
3. Add the fish and brown lightly all over.
4. Finely slice your garlic cloves, and add them with the rosemary to the fish.
5. Move the pan from side to side a couple of times. As soon as the oil starts to smoke, pour in the wine and then add the water.
6. Turn up the heat, cover and steam for 2 minutes or until the fish is tender and cooked through.
7. Uncover the pan, sprinkle with plenty of finely chopped parsley and serve accompanied by a fresh salad.