Chicken Pie with Rice and Raisins
This unusual combination of Mediterranean ingredients makes a delicious and hearty meal.
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup boiling water
1/3 cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
4 cups finely chopped red onion
500 g cooked chicken breast
3 tbs. basmati rice
1 tbs. dried mint
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
500 g commercial phyllo, defrosted and at room temperature
Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Finely chop onion
- Shred and finely chop cooked chicken breast
- Soak the raisins in the boiled water for a half hour to plump them
- Lightly oil a 15-inch round by 2-inch deep baking or pizza pan.
1. Heat 2 tbs. olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onions until soft, about 10 minutes over medium heat.
2. Combine the onions, shredded chicken, rice, spices and herbs in a large bowl.
3. Add the raisins and their soaking liquid.
4. Beat the eggs and pour into the mixture. Combine well.
5. Layer 7-8 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of the baking pan in such a way so that each overlaps the other but is turned at a 45° angle, fanning out in other words, so that phyllo hangs over the edge of the entire pan.
6. As you layer each sheet, brush with olive oil, especially around the edges.
7. Spread the filling evenly inside the pan.
8. Cover in the same manner with another 6 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with olive oil.
9. Trim the excess so that only about 2 inches of phyllo hang over the edge.
10. Bring the bottom and top layers together and roll inwards to form a decorative wreathlike rim.
11. Using a sharp paring knife, make air-pockets in several places on the surface of the pie.
12. Sprinkle with a little bit of cold water and bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until the pie is golden and the phyllo starts to pull away from the perimeter of the pan.
13. Remove, cool for at least 40 minutes, and serve.