Shepherd's Halva with Cheese and Sugar
This interesting cheese halva recipe from Greece is sweet and can be eaten as a meal in itself or as a dessert.
5 lbs fresh, unsalted whole milk soft mizithra crumbled (similar to unsalted whole milk ricotta)
6 large egg yolks
2 to 3 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup pastry flour
1. Place the cheese in a bowl and mix in the egg yolks either by hand or with a fork.
2. Place the cheese and egg mixture in a medium sized pot and heat over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the cheese melts.
3. Add the sugar in a slow steady stream, stirring constantly. Stir and simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes.
4. When the sugar begins to caramelize, add the flour.
5. Continue stirring until the mixture starts to pull away from the bottom and sides of the pot and the flour is cooked.
6. Add the butter, stir until melted, and remove.
7. Place the halva in a shallow bowl to set, cover it with a kitchen towel and let stand for thirty minutes before serving.