Grilled Moroccan Chicken Citron
One of the beauties of Mediterranean cooking is the creative use of aromatic herbs and spices. This grilled chicken recipe though easy is a great example of well combined spices. Accompany with a dollop of whole fat greek yogurt and a fresh green salad slightly dressed with a honey vinegrette to balance the citrus of the chicken.
2 whole chickens cut into quarters
4 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp fresh minced parsley
3 tbsp fresh minced cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of saffron threads
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp red chili flakes
juice and zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mince the herbs and lemon zest.
- Combine the chicken with all remaining ingredients, making sure each piece of chicken is evenly covered with the seasoning mixture. Let sit overnight in refrigerator.
1. Clean the grill with a grill brush and a towel. Heat grill on a high setting for 5 minutes.
2. Place chicken on the grill, reduce heat to medium and turn the chicken over every 2 minutes. This will ensure even cooking.
3. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook the chicken for another 10 - 15 minutes. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 160°C.