Chicken with Walnuts (Pule me Arra)
This recipe is a traditional chicken dish in Albania. It is surprisingly delicious, and has alot of potential for refinement; for those who love using tradition as a point of inspiration there are small tweeks that can be done to turn this into an impressive meal, be creative! (Some examples: cooking the chicken in aromatized or spiced water, blending the sauce and passing it through a chinois for a smoother result...)
500 g chicken
3-4 tbsp butter
½ cup of peeled walnuts
5-6 cloves garlic
1-2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp vinegar
5-6 cups water
- Crush the garlic cloves
- Coarsley chop the walnuts
1. Simmer chicken in water seasoned with salt to taste until tender, about 1 hour.
2. Remove chicken from cooking water, reserving 1-cup stock. Cool chicken slightly, then cut into 4 portions.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in large skillet. Add chicken pieces and saute until lightly browned. Remove chicken pieces and keep warm.
4. Melt the remaining butter in the same saucepan you browned the chicken. Add flour and cook, stiring constantly, until lightly browned.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
6. Add vinegar, garlic, walnuts and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook until warm.
7. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces.