Fish Stew from Paxos
Fish is abundant in the little Greek island of Paxos just south of Corfu and this traditional fish stew is enjoyed by families there almost once a week.
- 1 1 1/2 kg fish, grey mullet or sea bream
- salt to taste
- 1/2 kg large onions,chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic,chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste, diluted with 1 cup water
- 2 tbs paprika or 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg small stewing onions,chopped
- 1/2 kg potatoes,sliced into rounds
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
Wash the cleaned fish and sprinkle with salt.
Sauté the chopped onions in half the olive oil for about 10 minutes until soft.
Then add the garlic, tomato paste, water, and red and black pepper, and simmer for half an hour.
Heat the rest of the olive oil in a separate pan and brown the small stewing onions.
Add the onions, fish, and potatoes to the sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.