Grilled Herring with Fennel
This is a very simple recipe, that can be used with other fish as well. The strong taste of the herring is complimetned well with the anise taste of the fennel seed. Ideal for lunch, accompanied with a big green salad!
6-8 herrings, about 225 gr each
2 tsp fennel seeds
3/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter
juice of 2 large lemons
olive oil for basting
Clean the fish well, cutting off the heads and trimming the tails.
Preheat oven to 200°C
1. Cut 3 narrow slits on each side of the fish. Mix the fennel and salt and insert this mixture in the cuts and body cavity.
2. In a low baking dish melt the butter and then add the lemon juice.
3. Place the fish inside the lemon and butter and turn once to coat both sides.
4. Grill under a hot broiler for 4-5 minutes on each side. Baste once on each side with olive oil and the drippings. Serve hot.
* You can substitute the fennel seed with green anise, though as the anise is stronger in flavor use half the quantity.