Mullet and Potato Stew (Tajin bel Hut)
Traditional Libyan recipe that makes a filling and tasty meal! Depending on the way you choose to cut the ingredients and present the dish, you can make it more or less refined.
4 red mullet (150 / 200 g)
1 celery stalk
2 red chilli peppers
2 cloves of garlic
2 ripe tomatoes
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp black cumin powder
1 tbsp paprika
juice of 1 lemon
- Peel garlic and onion, chop together with celery
- Blend tomatoes
- Cut peeled potatoes into pieces of medium size and irregular shape.
- Wash and scale the mullet, either leave whole or fillet and cut into largish pieces.
1. Pour oil into a terracotta recipient with lid or if you do not have this use a heavy bottomed pan with lid, gently brown mixture of onion celery and garlic.
2. Add mullet, tomato puree and potatoes. Sprinkle with cumin and paprika and cook with lid for 10/12' or until the potateos are cooked through.
* If the fish is ready before the potatoes, take it out, set aside on a plate and add again at the end.
3. Remove lid, add lemon juice and mix gently so as not to break fish; end cooking over a low flame until the juice thickens.