Winter Soup with Mixed Meat and Wild Oregano
A heart warming winter soup, perfect for a week day dinner, not many complications to it but full in taste! One of those meals that take us back to the basics, one could imagine this being consumed by a villager in the midst of winter returning from a hard days work on the land!
1/2 kg veal
1/2 kg lamb
1 tsp wild oregano (fresh or dried)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
5 tbsp flour
1 tbsp fresh butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper
1. Boil meat in a large casserole with 2 lt or water for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the casserole lid during the last half hour.
2. Put the meat into a colander and collect the stock in a pan.
3. Remove and dispose bones and place boneless meat in stock. Add salt, parsley, garlic (crushed) and simmer the stock for 10 minutes.
4. Take two cups of stock and pour in a bowl. Allow the stock there to cool off. Once cool mix with flour.
5. Pour this mixture back into the pan, stir vigorously and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
6. Add the oregano, the warm butter, cover pan with lid and let the soup rest for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in well the whisked eggs in the pan. Serve immediately.