Potato Soup Zagorje Style
We were told, that this potato soup used to be a soup of the poor, until people realised its culinary value, and began putting it on gourmet menus throughout Croatia! Very easy to make, and little technique needed to achieve a fine result!
50g smoked bacon
2 cloves garlic
200 ml smetana
1 tbs of mixed herbs
1 tsp majoram
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs parsley
salt and pepper
2 tsp sweet red paprika
1 tbsp flour
1 litre water
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Finely slice the bacon.
- Chop onion, garlic and parsley.
1. Heat the margarine and sauté the sliced bacon and onion.
2. Sprinkle with sweet red paprika and add prepared potatoes, mixed spices, marjoram, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
3. Dust with flour, stir well and add an appropriate amount of water. Boil gently until potatoes are soft.
4. Then puree the soup, add the smetana, chopped parsley and garlic, vinegar to taste.
5. Bring briefly to the boil and serve.