Meat Loaf En Croûte
Serve this flavorful meatloaf wrapped in puff pastry with roasted potatoes sprinkled with oregano, and a lovely green salad.
1 packet of puff pastry
1 kg of veal mince
1 cup of olive oil
1 tomato, peeled and seeds removed
1 cup of kasseri cheese, grated
150 gr of chicken livers, boiled and finely chopped (optional)
2 slices of bread, soaked in milk
freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Peel and remove seeds from tomato
- Grate cheese
- Boil and finely chop livers
- Soak bread in milk
- Grate onion and garlic
1. Place the minced veal in a bowl.
2. Remove the bread from the milk, slice off the crusts and add to the mince.
3. Add the onion and the garlic.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add oregano and the grated cheese. Knead for 5-6 minutes until mixture is well combined.
5. Add the tomato and knead again. At this stage, you may add the chicken livers and knead again.
6. Refrigerate the mixture for approximately an hour.
7. On a smooth surface, lay out 3 sheets of pastry, one on top of the other, brushing each one with oil.
8. Arrange the mince mixture along the length of the pastry and roll it up.
9. Place in a greased oven tray and cook at 180° C for half an hour; increase to 200C° C and cook for a further 20 minutes.
10. Once it has browned, remove from the oven, allow to cool and slice.