Baklavou of Mytilini
This dessert from the Greek island of Mytilini is one of the delicious traditional sweets eaten at weddings.
1 kg. phylo, thin sheets
6 cups almonds, ground
½ kg. milk butter
For the syrup
8 cups sugar
4 cups water
½ lemon, juice
2 3 tbs rosewater
some whole almonds
Preheat oven at 180°C .
1. Soak the almonds in boiling water for a few minutes, remove and peel and let them dry for 5 minutes in a warm oven. Then grind the almonds to a fine grind in the blender.
2. Melt the butter over low heat and smear the baking pan. Lay 5 sheets of phylo, and butter each one before laying. Sprinkle the surface of the last phylo with plenty of the ground almonds.
3. Repeat procedure for every two buttered phylo sheets, until the almond grind runs out. Ensure 5 phylo sheets are left to spread in the end.
4. With a sharp knife, cut into squares or trapezoid shapes and garnish on top with whole almonds.
5. Carve small notches on the center of each piece, to keep the almonds in place. Sprinkle the surface with rosewater and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes and at 120°C for approximately 3 hours until it turns golden brown.
6. Prepare the syrup. Boil the sugar with the water and the lemon juice until it slightly thickens. Leave it to cool.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately pour the cool syrup. Leave it over night to absorb the syrup.