Veal with Large Lima Beans (Mish Qingjji me Barbunja)
This dish comes from Albania; just like the country, this recipe is very down to earth, filling and perfect for a week night dinner with the family. Albania is one of those countries with jems that no one even knows exist! Serve it with plain rice and a green salad.
1 kg veal
1 kg of large lima beans
1 large onion
1 can of tomatoes or 3 large fresh ones
- Select shoulder parts of the veal and cut them into 5 cm cubes. Wash the meat thoroughly with cold water and drain.
- Grate the onions
- Cut the ends off the lima beans and clean them well (you can also cut them in half if you desire).
1. Place the meat in a pot together with butter and grated onions and stir fry for a few minutes.
2. As the meat is frying, add water until the pieces are covered.
3. Add salt, pepper, and only two to three tablespoons of tomatoes (note: tomatoes can be cut into pieces to the size of your choice). Cover the pot and let the meat boil.
4. Add the lima beans to the meat after it has been boiling for several minutes. Also add water until everything in the pot is covered.
5. Finally, when the beans are done boiling, add the rest of the tomatoes. Then let the stew boil for a few more minutes so that the liquid can thicken.
Note: Tomatoes should not be added all at once in the beginning, since they don’t allow the lima beans to boil at the right pace. If you would rather use fresh tomatoes, when you add the lima beans, add whole tomatoes instead of cut ones.