Sweet Cornbread (Bobota)
This crumbly cornbread from Thessaly is a sweet dessert cake and although it is best when eaten hot or warm it is still good for up to three days.
500 g corn flour
500 g white flour
30 g fresh yeast or 1 package dry yeast
1/2 lt. hot water
2 tsp salt
1 large tbs honey
1 tsp orange zest
100 g black raisins
Preheat the oven to 180° C.
1. Place the corn flour in a kneading bowl or a mixer and pour hot water over it.
2. Add the flour and yeast and stir so that the batter mixture becomes moist and leave it until it cools.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except for the sesame and knead the mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Shape the dough and place it in a baking pan which has been slighlty greased and press with the palm of your hand until it is spread evenly.
5. Spread the surface with some warm water and sprinkle some sesame seeds and again press it down with the palm of your hand.
6. With a sharp knife slash the bread all around starting from the outer edge and working towards the middle, but leave the middle uncut.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden.