Split Peas with Caramelized Onions and Mint Sauce (Fava)
Split peas, or fava, as they are called in Greece, are so nutritious and delicious and this new recipe of split peas, caramelized onions and mint sauce is a heavenly combination!
250 g split peas
100 g blanched almonds
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 small bunch of fresh mint
1/2 cup of vinegar
1 cup of Mavrodaphne
1. In a pan, cook the split peas with one onion and the carrot in a pot with cold water.
2. Simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes, initially skimming the surface.
3. Stir frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add salt and pepper once cooked and then blend or process the mixture.
- Slice the remaining onions finely and sauté in a little olive oil.
- Add the vinegar, Mavrodaphne, salt and pepper, and allow to cook over low heat for approximately 30 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic clove and mint in a blender.
To serve, top split peas with the caramelized onions and pour the mint sauce over. Garnish with the blanched almonds.