Saffron Stuffed Chicken
And here is an interesting stuffed chicken dish for our Gourmed friends. Saffron, with its bitter sweet flavor with grassy notes, goes so well with chicken and mushrooms . It brings a rich, distinctive aromas, a warm, earthy taste and a radiant, mouth-watery color to this delicious stuffed chicken.
1 whole chicken approx. 1300 gr, cleaned
For the Stuffing
1/2 cup rice
150 gr mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic grated
1 cup dry white wine
20 threads saffron
1 handful walnuts slightly chopped
1 cup hard cheese in cubes
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
salt and pepper
lemon juice and olive oil for the coating of the chicken
For the Honey Sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp warm water
½ tbsp coriander powder
1/3 tbsp grated saffron
Preheat the oven to 180°C
For the Filling
Heat oil in a pan, and sauté the onions and mushrooms. Douce with the wine and add the saffron. Let them cool and add the garlic, the spices, the walnuts, the rice which should become yellow due to the saffron, all the other ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
Stuffing the Chicken
1. Add salt and pepper to the inside of the chicken and sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil.
2. Stuff it with the mixture and sew it up with a cotton thread.
3. Salt the outside of the chicken and baste it with some oil.
4. Put in the oven for approx. 2 hours.
5. Turn up the heat to 200°C and coat with the honey sauce every 5 minutes for the last half hour.