Rice Stuffed Squid
Stuffed squid is a Mediterranean favorite! Whether it be in Spain or Greece, this dish takes a leading role on a lunch or dinner table. Play around with the stuffing and try adding some white wine to the final sauce for variation.
1 kg medium sized squid, cleaned, left whole
1 big onion chopped
165 gr rice
1/3 cup of chopped parsley
1 cup of water
1 cup of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
- Cut and slit the tentacles in two lengthwise strips then cut in fine pieces.
- Heat two thirds of the oil and brown the onions and tentacles. Add the rice, parsley, salt and pepper, stir in the water .
- Once the rice begins to cook, cover and leave to simmer for ten to fifteen minutes until it thickens.
- Loosely stuff, don’t pack, the squids with the rice filling. Stand the stuffed squid in a wide pot.
- Pour the remaining oil, lemon juice, 1 cup of water, or slightly more into the pot with the squid; cover and leave to simmer until only oil remains.