Squid with Pesto Sauce - Calamari al Pesto
This Italian seafood favorite is an excellent side dish for pasta. The interesting texture of the calamari and the fragrant basil pesto are a perfect combination.
1 kg of calamari washed, dried (small ones, fresh)
vegetable stock (or a vegetable stock cube)
bouquet garni made up of bay leaves, parsley and thyme sprigs
1 cup of chopped basil
8 cloves of garlic, pressed
1/3 cup of pine nuts, toasted
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 tbs of grated parmesan cheese or matured sour cheese from Naxos
1. Fill a pan with water and the vegetable stock (or a vegetable stock cube), add plenty of salt and the bouquet garni. Bring to the boil.
2. Remove the bouquet garni and add the calamari. Do not cook for more than 5 minutes – the calamari should be al dente and not rubbery.
3. Remove from pan and slice finely into rings; keep some of the smaller heads, but discard the rest. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Blend the basil, garlic and pine nuts, adding the olive oil to the mixture.
5. Add the grated cheese to the mixture.
6. Combine the calamari with the pesto sauce.