These fried minnows are a crispy, sweet and delicious fish treat.
1 kg large minnows (alternately use mullet, savridi, or mackerel)
2 cups olive oil for frying
1/2 cup of strong vinegar
1/2 cup of molasses
1 cup flour (hard)
salt and pepper to taste
1 rosemary twig
1. Scale and gut the minnows, salt them and set aside for a while to absorb the salt and for liquids to be drained.
2. Cover them lightly with flour and fry them in hot olive oil until they are a rosy color on both sides.
3. Place them in a bowl in which you have laid a double layer of paper towels.
4. Allow the oil in the frying pan to drop in temperature and drain off.
5. Replace in the pan and heat slightly.
6. Add the vinegar, rosemary and molasses.
7. Stir until the sauce barely thickens and baste the minnows with the liquid.
8. Keep them covered with a lid for three hours to let the minnows soak in the vinegar and rosemary. Serve in room temperature.