Rabbit Casserole with Sweet Mavrodaphne Wine
Even if rabbit may not be on the menu very often it is actually a very fine meat, with a subtle taste that is soft and very delicious! This stew if cooked correctly should have a thick dark sauce to accompany it.
1 1/2 kg rabbit cut into servings marinated the rabbit in vinegar with a cup of water for 2 hours
1 cup red wine vinegar
150-160 g olive oil
1 glass of Mavrodaphne
12 small shallots ( small onions)
3 carrots sliced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 small cinnamon stick
salt & pepper
2 tbsp walnut, thickly ground
1. Sauté the onions whole in the olive oil until they soften.
2. Brown the rabbit well in the same pan as the onions.
3. Pour in the Mavrodaphne, add the carrots, the spices and the pepper. Let boil until all the alcohol has evaporated.
4. Add approximately 1/2 cup of water or enough to cover the meat. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 50 minutes to 1 hour until the meat is tender.
5. Add salt towards the end of the cooking.