Mussels Simmered with Tomatoes and Feta (Salonika Mydia Saganaki)
Serve these flavorful mussels saganaki from Salonica with lots of fresh bread for dipping!
1-1 ½ kg (2-3 lbs.) mussels
2 tbs olive oil
2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 chilli pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8-10 plum tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped, with juice
1 tsp oregano
2 tbs ouzo
250 gr (1/2 lb) Greek feta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tsp butter
Soak mussels in cold water. Discard any that are open. Using a knife, cut away the "beard" on each mussel and scrub the shells. Soak again in cold water and rinse.
1. Place mussels and two inches of water in a large pot. Cover and steam mussels until they open, about 5-7 minutes. Cool slightly and remove mussels from their shells.
2. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Sauté peppers.
3. Add garlic, tomatoes, and oregano.
4. Lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
5. Add mussels and ouzo, and simmer another three to four minutes. Add feta.
6. Cover and simmer over medium heat until feta begins to melt. It should not disintegrate completely.
7. Just before removing from heat, swirl in butter and serve.