Custard with Spices and Honey
This spicy honey-sweetened custard is loaded with flavor and is so creamy and refreshing.
1 cup of milk
1 cup of cream
3 aniseed stars
1 cinnamon stick
1/3 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of honey
Preheat oven to 160° C.
1. In a pan over low heat, add the milk, cream, aniseed and cinnamon; heat thoroughly without boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, discard the aniseed and the cinnamon, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Beat the sugar and the eggs and add to the cream mixture. Pour the mixture into 6 pyrex bowls or glasses of half-cup capacity.
4. Place the bowls in a baking pan with enough hot water to come half way up the sides.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the custard has set.
6. Remove from the pan and refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold.
7. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of honey over the custard in each bowl.
8. Place under a warm grill until the honey turns a deep golden colour.
9. Allow to cool for 3 minutes before serving.