Chickpea soup (Soupa revythia)
The chickpeas create a thick stewlike soup that is healthy and hearty and naturally sweet. A great and nutritious meal!
500 gr chickpeas
150 ml olive oil
2-3 onions chopped
2 tbs baking soda
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in lukewarm water to soften.
2. The following day strain and sprinkle with baking soda. Leave to stand for fifteen minutes, then wash them with warm water and rub with a towel to remove the skins. Wash them thoroughly in a colander.
3. Cook the peas in a large pot of water. Skim the broth.
4. Pour the oil, onion, salt and pepper into the pot and cover partially.
5. Simmer until the peas become mush. Serve sprinkled with lemon juice.