Aubergine with Garlic
The key to this delicious Mediterranean starter or side dish is the fresh garlic making it extra healthy, flavorful and aromatic. This dish should not be thin and runny, and is best served warm.
2 kg of large, round aubergines cut into slices about 2.5 cm thick, salted
2 kg of ripe tomatoes, peeled, cut in half, deseeded and grated
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp of sugar
2-3 tbs of vinegar or sweet red wine (Mavrodaphne)
1 head of garlic cleaned
Preheat the oven to 190° C.
1. Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt and place in a colander to drain and remove any bitterness, approximately 40 minutes to 2 hours. Rinse well and pat dry.
2. Heat some olive oil in a pan and lightly fry the aubergine in batches, taking care not to burn them. Drain on absorbent paper.
3. In a saucepan, add water and simmer the tomatoes with salt, pepper and sugar until the mixture reduces and a thick sauce forms.
4. Stir the vinegar or sweet red wine into the sauce.
5. In an ovenproof dish, layer the aubergine slices sprinkling each one with chopped garlic.
6. Finally, pour the sauce over the aubergines and bake for 30 minutes in the oven.