Prawns Saganaki - Garides saganaki
Greek Saganaki, prawns in a delicious spicy cheese and tomato sauce is a favorite meze or appetizer. Serve with crusty bread and ouzo!
1 kg of prawns, cleaned
4 ripe tomatoes grated (or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes)
1 tb parsley chopped
salt and pepper
a pinch of hot paprika
1/2 a level tsp of sugar
150 g feta cheese
1 medium onion, ψηοππεδ
1 cup of olive oil
1 tbs of brandy
1 chicken stock cube
1 tbs of flour
Preheat oven at 190° C.
1. Sauté half of the onions in 1/2 a cup of olive oil.
2. Add the prawns and sauté all together for a few moments.
3. Douse with a little brandy, add a spoonful of flour, stir and simmer for a little until the mixture loses its "floury" taste.
4. In another pan, sauté the rest of the onion in the rest of the oil.
5. Add the tomatoes, the sugar, the salt and pepper, the paprika and the stock cube and simmer until the sauce has reduced.
6. Mix the contents of the two pans in an ovenproof dish, spread with parsley and slices of cheese, and bake in the oven until the cheese has melted.