Oxtail soup with Vegetables
Oxtail is being served in many posh and delicate restaurants; in the past it was used in times of hardship to make up for the absence of better pieces of meat. This oxtail soup has something particular, it is a vegetable velouté with pieces of meat in it.
1 kg oxtail
1 1/2 liter water
4 dry onions
2 celery stalks
2 medium sized potatoes
salt & pepper
For the garnish
½ cup yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
gratings and juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground pepper
1. Finely chop all the vegetables making sure that they are all about the same size. Sauté the vegetables in olive oil.
2. Add the meat and the water, salt and pepper and let it boil over medium heat for about 1 hour or a bit longer until the meat is tender.
3. Remove the meat and the vegetables.
4.Mash the vegetables ina blender and separate the meat from the bones.
5. Add the meat to the blended vegetables and put back on the heat. Dilute with water if too thick.
6. Make the yogurt mixture: Mix in the yogurt with the olive oil, the juice and the lemon gratings and the freshly ground pepper. You can even add finely chopped tender celery leaves.
7. Serve the soup and garnish the plates with the yogurt mixture.