Olive Pies - Eliopites
These Cypriot eliotes or eliopitakia (Olive pies) are so delicious that even though they are eaten especially during Lent you will wan to eat them all year long.
1 water glass orange juice
1 water glass oil (1/2 olive oil and 1/2 vegetable oil)
3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2-3 water glasses pitted black olives (avoid olives preserved in vinegar)
3-4 large onions, finely chopped
fresh or dried mint to taste
3-4 tbs oil
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. In medium bowl, mix all the pastry ingredients and knead to make a soft dough.
2. Cover and let stand while preparing filling.
3. Slightly brown onions in skillet with oil.
4. Add olives and mint to onions in skillet. Strip and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
5. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
6. Cut into circles with biscuit cutters or glass.
7. Place one tablespoon filling on half a circle and fold other half to join edges. Press edges to seal tightly.
8. Place in greased baking pan and bake in medium oven until browned.