Okra and Potato Ragout
Okra and potatoes are a wonderful pair with a perfect balance in texture and flavor.
180 ml olive oil
1 kg okra
2 large potatoes cut in quarters
3 cups water
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 large ripe tomatoes, cubed
2 tbs parsley, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
1. Clean and wash the okra well. Cut in half, lengthwise, if large. Drain and salt. In a large saucepan heat oil and sauté onion until golden.
2. Add potatoes and 2 cups of water. Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup water, okra, parsley and tomatoes. Cook gently for a further 15 minutes.
4. Increase heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, uncovered.
5. Five minutes before cooking completed, add lemon juice. Shake saucepan (do not use a spoon).
7. Let stand for 8 minutes before serving. If serving cold, refrigerate.