Meatball Soup: Albondigas
This favorite traditional Mexican meatball soup ("albondigas" means "meatballs" in Spanish) with hearty chunks of vegetables, makes a great meal and is often served with some flour tortillas on the side. You can vary the vegetables depending on what you have on hand.
1/2 lb pork, ground
1/2 lb beef, ground
1/2 cup rice, brown - uncooked
1 onion, diced fine
1/2 tsp thyme
8 cup water
1 tomato - chopped
1 garlic clove - diced
1/2 cup chillies
2 chives chopped
1 slice French bread - thick
1/2 tsp cumin
2 carrots - sliced thin
1 cup peas
1. Mix pork, beef, egg, rice, 1/2 of onion, and thyme together.
2. Shape meat mixture by generous tablespoonfuls into 1-inch balls
3. Bring water to boil in a large pot and add meatballs; simmer at low heat for 1 hour.
4. Add tomato, garlic, chillies, and rest of chopped onion; let simmer 35 minutes.
5. Add chives and simmer for another 10 minutes.
6. Soak French bread in small amount of soup broth until very soft. Place in blender with cumin; chop together; add to soup.
7. Next add carrots and peas; simmer until vegetables are tender. Serve.