Spinach Casserole with Rice (Spanakorizo)
An easy and healthy recipe with few ingredients for those who love the taste of spinach. Its a favorite Greek family dish especially diring the Lenten Period. Great on its own or as a side dish its especially delicious when seved with fesh feta cheese.
2 kg spinach
150-200 g olive oil
2 dry onions
5 leeks (only the white stalk)
10 onion springs
1 bunch of dill
1 hot pepper (optional), seeded
250 g long-grain rice
1. Cut the spinach into 3 or 4 pieces (depending on its size).
2. Blanch in boiling water, bring to boil 2 or 3 times and then drain.
3. Finely chop the onions, the leeks and the spring onions. Sauté with hot oil.
4. Salt them to wilt faster and prevent from toasting. Add finely chopped dill to wilt too.
5. Add the spinach and stir.
6. Add about 250 gr. water and when it comes to boil, add the rice. .
7. Add pepper, the hot pepper (optional) and the lemon. When the rice is ready, remove from heat.