Nettle Spiral Pie
These pies are funny and easy to make.The nettles can be substituted with whatever seasonal greens you find at your farmer's market, the procedure remains the same.
For the filling
1 kg nettles,
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup black vinegary olives, deseeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
3 tbsp. olive oil
a pinch of cumin
salt & pepper to taste
For the pastry sheet
2 cups flour
1 tbs vodka
4 tbs olive oil
1 cup lukewarm water
salt to taste
Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and cook the onions until transparent.
- Add the nettles and stir around bringing the bottom ones to the top and vice versa.
- Cook until all the water has evaporated and the nettles have turned a dark green color.
- Add the olives, walnuts, cumin, salt and pepper. Test to see if the cumin and pepper are to your liking. Add more if required.
- Mix the vodka with the olive oil, salt, a little flour and a little lukewarm water.
- Process at low speed for 10 minutes and gradually add the flour. Occasionally stop processing to check if the dough holds together. If the dough is runny, add a little flour, and then check again. Stop processing if the dough is elastic. Cover with a dampened towel and leave to rest for one hour.
- On a slightly floured board roll out the dough into the thinnest sheets you can manage.
- Cut in rectangular strips of 7 cm wide and 30 cm long.
- Spoon in a little of the filling along each strip and bring the length sides together to close the strips (make sure they are tightly closed). Hold one end of the filled strip and roll it in to form a spiral.
- Brush pies with olive oil and cook in the oven until golden brown. Serve them warm.