This is a delicious and traditional Greek dish from Evia. It can be eaten as a side dish or main dish. Rice becomes the ideal accompaniment to delicious leek. This dish is usually served with any type of salted preserve (herrings, anchovies, etc.)
300 gr of Carolina rice
4 leeks, approximately 800g
1 tbs of tomato paste
300 ml of oil
1 bunch of dill
a little mint
salt and pepper
- Remove the outer leaves and roots of the leeks. Wash very well in order to remove all traces of dirt, which may be present, and chop into pieces about 4-5 cm long.
1. Heat a pan of water and throw in the leeks, allowing them to boil for a time. Remove the pan and drain the leeks well.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan and when it is quite hot add the leeks; allow to soften, stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomato paste mixed with water, salt and pepper to taste, dill and enough water to half cover the leeks.
4. Simmer slowly; before the leek is cooked add the rice. Simmer until rice is ready.