This sweet and nutty dessert is from Amfissa and is delicious when served with kaimaki ice cream.
20 tbs toasted breadcrumbs
20 tbs sugar
20 tbs walnuts, finely chopped
250 gr butter
1 small glass cognac
1 package baking powder
1 tbs cocoa
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
6 glasses sugar
4 glasses water
juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. Beat the egg yolks separately with the sugar.
2. Beat the egg whites well until they become a thick meringue. To make the meringue white and firm add a teaspoon of cornstarch.
3. Add to the yolk mixture the butter, the cognac, the cocoa, the cinnamon, the clove and the toasted breadcrumbs in which you have added the baking powder.
4. Beat them all together until they become a smooth texture.
5. Once the mixture is smooth add the meringue and the walnuts using a spoon, by alternating one spoonful of meringue with one spoonful walnuts.
6. Stir well with a spatula, but make sure your meringue does not deflate.
7. Butter and sprinkle some flour on a baking pan No. 34, pour the mixture and bake for 60 minutes.
8. While you are baking the karydopasta, prepare the syrup.
9. Boil the sugar with the water and half a lemon and leave it to boil for 10 minutes.
10. Once the syrup is ready turn off the burner but leave the pot on.
11. As soon as the karydopasta is ready remove it from the oven and immediately pour the hot syrup but very slowly so the karydopasta does not deflate. Let it sit and absorb all the syrup, then cut into pieces and serve.