Hake, Basque-Style (Merluza a la Vasca)
A traditional dish from the Basque Country, easy to make despite the large amounts of ingredients needed to make it;
800 g hake in 4 thick slices
4 garlic cloves sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
5 sprigs of parsley finely chopped
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
300 ml fish stock
½ cup white wine
8 small or 4 large fresh asparagus spears
2 eggs, boiled, quartered
150 g peas boiled
300 g clams cleaned
1. Put the oil into a large flameproof casserole, preferably earthenware. Add the garlic and sauté. Add the flour and stir.
2. Season the hake and put into the pan. Sauté both sides. Pour the white wine and allow to reduce.
3. Add the fish stock and the peas. Cover with a lid and simmer gently about 15 min.
4. Add the parsley, the clams and the asparagus spears. Cover again and allow to cook for around 10 min.
5. Discard any clams which do not open. Check seasoning.
6. Before serving garnish with the rest of the parsley and the hard-boiled eggs.