Finely Sliced Veal with Mushrooms and Cheese in the Oven
The best accompaniment for this savoury baked veal is rich and creamy mashed potato.
1 kg of veal, cut into cubes
1/2 kg of mushrooms, sliced if they are big
6 ripe tomatoes diced
250 gr of kasseri cheese, grated
1 large onion finely chopped
1 small cup of olive oil
a sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tbs of dried thyme
freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven at 170° C.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion along with the meat.
2. As soon as they are lightly browned add the mushrooms and mix.
3. Add the tomato and bring to the boil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add the thyme.
4. Empty the contents of the pan into a round, ceramic casserole dish and bake for approximately half an hour.
5. Remove from the oven, add half of the grated cheese and combine. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, return to the oven and cook until golden brown.
Serve hot straight from the casserole.