Eggplant - Pumpkin Rolls
These sweet and savory eggplant-pumpkin rolls are an ideal appetizer to serve and impress your guests with.
1 large eggplant sliced about 1 cm
olive oil for frying
1 medium onion, finely chopped
250 grams (8 oz) pumpkin, rind and seeds removed and cubed
1 tbs chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs flour
4 full tbs grated kefalotyri or graviera cheese
Preheat the oven to 190° C
1. Heat a few tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and fry the eggplant slices quickly until they are fairly soft and malleable. Drain well on paper towels.
2. In the same oil (add a little if necessary), sauté the chopped onion until it starts to brown, then add the cubed pumpkin.
3. When the pumpkin is soft, add the chopped parsley and pepper, and sprinkle the flour into the pan. Simmer, stirring for a minute or two.
4. Remove from heat and mix in two tablespoons of the grated cheese.
5. Line up your eggplant slices and place a spoonful of pumpkin mixture at the end of each one and roll up.
6. Place the rolls seamside down in a barely oiled pyrex dish, and sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese.
7. Bake the rolls for about 10 minutes or until golden.