Red Pepper and Walnut Dip (Μuhammara)
Make a little bit extra of this tasty dip from Syria, as it will become a party favourite!
5 red peppers
1 barley rusk or 2 slices old bread
2 tsp. pomegranate molasses
1 garlic clove (or two if you like the flavour)
½ - 1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
Aleppo pepper (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
1. Wash the peppers thoroughly and place them on a baking tray. Bake for 20-30 turning once or twice until their skins shrivel and slightly burn.
2. Put them in a plastic bag, close it and let them cool a little; (this is a trick to enable the peeling of any roasted vegetable). Peel and discard seed and stems.
3. Soak bread or rusk in water. Squeeze well so that there is little moisture left.
4. Process everything in a blender until smooth. Taste and correct seasoning, adding extra salt or pomegranate molasses.
5. Chill for at least an hour up to a day.
6. Serve with pita bread or vegetable sticks.