Quinoa and Vegetable Salad
Quinoa is a very impressive grain: easy to digest, low in gluten, with high protein content. It is a welcome change from bulgur wheat or rice and can be easily found in organic food stores and large supermarkets. This salad can either be served as a starter, or a light main meal.
500g fresh button mushrooms
1/2 bunch parsley, dill or other aromatic greens
2 red peppers, fresh or canned
olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper
3 tbsp roasted pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds (optional)
- Finely chop the herbs
- Cut the carrot into thin strips or brunoise
- Roast the pumpkin seeds
- Slice the peppers whether canned or fresh
1. Soak the quinoa for 10 minutes and then rinse well under running water to remove the bitter saponin film that covers the grains.
2. Bring 350ml (1 ½ cups) water to the boil and add the quinoa with a bit of salt. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let it stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the seeds with a fork and set aside.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, sauté the mushrooms in 2 tbsp of olive oil until golden (add the peppers if fresh).
4. Mix all the ingredients together, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for a couple of hours. If the salad has no seasoning it can be easily kept for a couple of days.
5. Season well and serve with an olive oil and lemon dressing, topped with the roasted seeds.