Loukoumades with yogurt
This loukoumades (greek doughnuts) recipe creates delicious little golden puffs made with yogurt. Loukoumades have always been a popular sweet treat in Greece Serve them with sprinkled cinnamon, grated walnuts or roasted sesame seeds. Loukoumades with yogurt can be eaten cold.
For the dough
2 cups yogurt
2 cups flour, self rising flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
For the syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup honey
1 cup water
½ lemon, juice
grated walnuts or sesame
1. In a bowl place the yogurt and slowly add the flour and the salt, constantly stirring with the egg beater.
2. Dissolve the baking soda in the brandy and pour into the yogurt mixture.
3. Cover the batter with a towel and leave in a warm place to rest for 2 hours.
4. Place plenty of oil in a skillet and when hot, dip a spoon in water then take a spoonful of batter and place it in the hot oil.
5. Repeat the same procedure, and make sure you dip the spoon in water before the batter so that it could slip easily into the hot oil.
6. Fry the loukoumades a few at a time until they turn golden brown.
7. Prepare the syrup. In a pot, boil the sugar with water and the lemon juice for 5 – 6 minutes, constantly stirring with a wooden ladle until the syrup thickens.
8. Add the honey, remove the pot from the burner and stir constantly until the honey has dissolved. After the syrup has cooled dip the loukoumades for one minute and remove.