Left over lamb is the basis of this dish, although you could also make it with other meats. The final result is yummy either way.
8 thick phyllo sheets or 16 thin ones
700gr lean cooked lamb meat, diced or coarsely minced
200gr ricotta cheese mixed with feta cheese, crumbled
250 sheep cheese like pecorino, grated
1 egg yolk
salt, pepper, sesame seeds
6-7 mint leaves, chopped (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Mix all ingredients (meat, cheese, 2 eggs, mint leaves, salt and pepper) in a large bowl. You can add a little bit of water if the mix looks too thick. However, a very runny mix will be hard to handle.
- Spread a phyllo sheet on your work surface and fold in half. If your phyllo is tοo thin you can use two sheets.
- Brush each sheet with oil and spread 2-3 tbsp of the filling in the middle. Be careful not to fill the pies too much because they will break during baking.
- Fold up the sides and the roll up the phyllo to make a cylinder. Brush with oil and then coil it carefully. Place it on a baking sheet line with parchment. Repeat with the rest of the phyllo and filling.
- Brush the pies with the egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until phyllo is golden-brown and crispy.